The Celebrity Chef Shares a Preview of What’s Cooking on Crystal Cruises
Sailing the world can be delicious. Particularly aboard Crystal ships, where world-class, globally-inspired cuisine is masterfully created every day to showcase the flavors of the world we travel. One of the best ways to explore new destinations, is, in fact, through the cuisine of the region, which is why our Wine & Food Festival themed voyages continue to be among the most popular. This is also due to the immense talents featured on board our ships, like those of celebrity chef Jon Ashton, who will join Crystal Symphony’s culinary cruise through the South Pacific and French Polynesia, embarking from Papeete on March 18.
Jon is as internationally renowned for his warm and winning character as for his creative cuisine, with a reputation for making good food accessible. Guests aboard this voyage will enjoy both, as he presents interactive cooking demos, special menus and tastings throughout the journey. In the meantime, he’s sharing a preview of what’s in store for Crystal guests. Whether or not you’ll be sailing the islands with Chef Jon Ashton, you can enjoy these specialties in your own home. The only thing missing will be Crystal’s celebrated service.
Grilled Chicken Tacos
5 boneless chicken thighs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon ground chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 lemon or lime, cut into quarters
sun-dried tomato strips
thinly sliced jalapeño
- Clean the chicken thighs by rinsing under cold water, and dry with a paper towel.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken on a plate, cover it with plastic wrap, and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, combine all the marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Submerge chicken thighs in bowl with marinade. Marinate in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Remove bowl from fridge up to two hours before cooking.
- Preheat grill to medium-high up to 20 minutes before grilling.
- Grill chicken 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove from grill and let rest. Slice chicken into lengthwise strips.
- Spoon chicken into warm tortillas and top with any of the garnishes listed. Serve with lemon or lime.
Kale and Apple Parmesan Salad
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
2 cups thinly shredded kale
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
1/4 cup candied pecans, chopped
1 golden delicious apple, peeled and chopped into strips
- Whisk together oil, honey, lemon zest, and juice in a medium bowl.
- Add kale, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and pecans. Toss to coat.
- Cut sides off apple into sliced pieces, place on board and cut into strips.
- Add apples and toss to coat.
Indulge your appetite for luxury, new destinations, and world-class cuisine aboard Crystal’s Wine & Food Festival Voyages. Additional itineraries include Crystal Serenity’s April 26 voyage from Dubai to Rome and the December 7, round-trip Los Angeles sailing.