…Served with avocado mousse and pickled vanilla cucumbers.
The culinary masterminds aboard our ships are back on the blog, sharing a signature dish that will certainly impress any diner guests with whom you wish to share. As with many Crystal specialties, the Yellow Fin Tuna Carpaccio recipe offers an exotic twist on a traditional dish, or perhaps a traditional twist to exotic ingredients. Either way, don your apron, get cooking and imagine yourself in the elegant Crystal Dining Room… until you board again.
Yields 4 servings
- 24 oz. yellow fin tuna loin (Ahi), sashimi grade, thinly sliced
- Flaky sea salt to sprinkle
- Freshly ground black pepper to sprinkle
For the pickling juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup champagne vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tbsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tbsp. crushed coriander seeds
- ½ tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled, cut in strips
- 1 tsp. Szechuan peppercorn, crushed
- ½ ea. Vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 1 ea. Japanese cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut lengthwise in ¼ inch slices
Mix all ingredients in a stock pot and boil. Remove from stove and cool to room temperature. Add sliced cucumbers and marinate at least 4 hours.
For the avocado mousse
- 1 ea. Ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 tbsp. lemon oil
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and ground white pepper to taste
Puree the avocado with lemon oil and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fill into small squeeze bottle and chill.
Plating and preparation
Brush 4 deep plates (chilled) with lemon oil. Lay out 6 thin slices of tuna for each plate and season with flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle with lemon oil. Garnish with the avocado mousse and vanilla pickled cucumbers. Finish with olive caviar, fresh avocado slices, red radish and microgreens.