Every day, all year long, we are abundantly thankful for the wonderful world we get to explore with you, our Crystal Family. Each season brings new adventures in new destinations, and returns to favorite spots. Of the many diverse traditions throughout the world that we discover through travel, most of them share one thing in common: gathering with family and friends new and old to share feasts of delicious food, stories and memories. Aboard Crystal ships, the occasion is no different, as we enter the season of Thanksgiving, we gather to share our gratitude for the many discoveries made over the past year, and those that lie ahead.
We are honored to be part of this holiday with our guests and crew on board, and we invite you to join us at the table, wherever you are in the world, as our executive chef, Günter Lorenz, shares Crystal’s signature turkey and stuffing recipes for you to enjoy.
MAPLE CIDER-BRINED TURKEY
- 2 quarts apple cider
- ½ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp whole allspice berries
- ¾ tsp whole black peppercorns
- ½ tsp whole cloves
- 6 (2-inch) strips orange rind
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 gallon cold water
- 1 (12-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 apple, cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 sage sprig
- ½ orange, cut into wedges
- ½ onion, cut into wedges
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 ¼ cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth,
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- To prepare brine, combine first 9 ingredients in a large stockpot over high heat; cook 6 minutes or until salt dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add 1 gallon cold water. Cool to room temperature.
- To prepare turkey, remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve neck. Trim excess fat; add turkey to brine. Refrigerate 18 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove turkey from brine; discard brine. Pat turkey dry. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Combine 3 tablespoons butter and next 3 ingredients (through ½ teaspoon pepper) in a small bowl; rub butter mixture under loosened skin and over breast and drumsticks. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey. Place apple and next 5 ingredients (through onion) in the body cavity. Secure legs with kitchen twine. Place turkey on the rack of a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Place neck in bottom of roasting pan; place rack with turkey in pan.
- Bake at 375° for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cover turkey loosely with foil; bake an additional 45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°. Remove from oven; place turkey on a cutting board. Let stand, covered, for 20 minutes; discard neck and skin.
- To prepare gravy, place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour pan drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off one bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add thyme and shallot; sauté 2 minutes. Add ½ cup cider and bourbon; boil 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Combine ¼ cup broth and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture, remaining 1 cup broth, and drippings to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and vinegar.
ORANGE SAGE STUFFING
- ½ cup onion yellow, finely chopped
- ½ cup butter, unsalted, melted
- 2 leafs herb, sage, fresh finely chopped
- 1 orange zest & juice
- ½ loaf white toast, crust removed diced 2 cm
- 1 tbsp. orange liqueur
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup cream, heavy
- 2 each egg yolk
- 2 each egg white
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly ground to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste (white, freshly ground)
- 1 orange segment
- Sauté onion in butter over medium heat until translucent.
- Add orange zest and sage and sauté for another minute.
- Warm up toast cubes in a hot oven (place on a pan sheet).
- In a deep bowl mix the butter mixture and the toast and toss.
- Add cream, chicken stock, and egg yolk, season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Whip the egg white till foamy and white.
- Fold in the egg white and the orange segments to the bread mixture.
- Fill the mixture in a buttered fireproof dish, and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes by 190°C.
- Keep it covered for the first 28 minutes, remove cover (aluminum foil).
Thank you for joining us for your luxury travel experiences. We look forward to sharing many more celebrations with you.